Introduction to Mindful Eating
yourself to become aware of the positive and nurturing opportunities
that are available through food selection and preparation by respecting
your own inner wisdom.
- Using all your senses in choosing to eat food that is both satisfying to you and nourishing to your body.
- Acknowledging responses to food (likes, dislikes or neutral) without judgment.
- Becoming aware of physical hunger and satiety cues to guide your decisions to begin and end eating.
Benefits of Mindful Eating
- Reconnect to innate wisdom about hunger and satiety
- Offers the possibility of freeing yourself from reactive patterns around food and eating
- Nourishes not only the body but the heart
- Empowers you to make healthier choices, unlike dieting, which can lead to feelings of deprivation
- Brings awareness of your relationship with other people and beings
- Shifts locus of control from external authorities to your body's inner wisdom
Someone Who Eats Mindfully
- Acknowledges that there is no right or wrong way to eat but varying degrees of awareness surrounding the experience of food.
- Accepts that their eating experiences are unique.
- Is an individual who by choice, directs their attention to eating on a moment-by-moment basis.
- Gains awareness of how they can make choices that support health and well being.
aware of the interconnection of earth, living beings, and cultural
practices and the impact of their food choices on those systems